Willie Green on Freedom & Feeling in Art

This is a lightly edited transcription-excerpt from a 2022 interview with musician, mixing engineer & producer Paul “Willie Green” Womack discussing his work with billy woods, with woods’s backwoodz studioz record label, and on engineering/producing for backwoodz label rapper ELUCID.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I like to create a physical reaction with art.

If I go to a museum or art gallery and just walk by going, “it's nice …that's nice …that's nice …that's nice”; did I engage with the art? Or did I just walk by and look at it?

I want you to engage with the art, so I want some physical moments.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ELUCID is well aware of the challenges of [the loud noise at] the beginning of [his track] “If You Say So.” But that's him. He’s like: “I want to f*** with people. I want to push it. I wanna make people have that reaction and then say: Okay, you heard that! I woke you up. Now what about the rest of the song? What about the rest of it?”

It's an artistic choice. ELUCID knows what he wants, and if he wants that s*** there, it's probably going to be there at the end of the day.

That's the wonderful thing about working with backwoodz. woods is one of the most influential people in my life and not just because he's a great MC, but because he's created a label that encourages artists to push boundaries, to go outside of the box. There’s not a point where it's like: “this is too weird, I don't know if backwoodz can put it out.”

If it's good, if it's right, it can come out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To have that kind of environment, with that being the idea: being creative, being dope, and being unafraid about it, has allowed me to become the musician and the person that I am.

And that's what I enjoy about the indie world more so than the major label world where it's like “this record needs to sound like this because it has to compete with this and be on this playlist…”

I don't care about none of that!


I just want to make dope records that make you think, and make you react, and make you feel.

If your music’s not making you feel—then what are we doin’?

If we’re not doing that, then we’re not making music at that point—we’re just making content.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.buzzsprout.com/2019366/10962431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZNEpcPMKSM  (ca. 1h37m57s – 1h41m14s)

Comments